Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Will Summary Thomas Jordan of Great Marlow 1611

 Thomas Jordan yeoman of Great Marlow, will proved 1611

Sick and weak in body but of good and perfect mind and memory.

Commends soul to God.

Burial requested in Marlow churchyard.

5 shillings to Marlow church.

10 shillings to be distributed amongst the Marlow poor at his burial.

To my wife's son John ?Greetham £10 at age 18, ...platters, two pairs of hempen sheets and a feather bolster.

To my wife's daughter Ann Greetham £5 at age 18 or at her marriage if sooner, three platters, two pairs of hempen sheets and a feather bolster.

Son John Jordan £40 at age 18, my best bedstead, my best feather bed, two of my best bolsters, three pairs of my best sheets, 2 of my best blankets, the green carpet for my table [table cover], my great brass pan, my great brass pot and my biggest brass kettle.

All money and goods left to the children to be in the use and possession of wife Mary as long as she remains unmarried, and before the children reach the specified ages. If she does remarry the will overseers to have the money and goods until the children reach their ages, investing the money as they think best for the children.

All rest of personal property after debts and expenses paid to go to wife Mary who is the will's executor. Will overseers m"well beloved brother in law" John Bolter of Radnage, Bucks gent and my natural brother John Jordan of Great Marlow.

Will witnessed by Roger Godfrey, Thomas Braughing, and William ....feld. (Probably Stutfield)

Will summarized from a transcription I made of a will held at the National Archives, Kew. © Marlow Ancestors. You may use and reproduce this summary if you give tocredit this blog.


To find other will transcripts for Marlow and nearby, see our index here


All mentions of a family or individual can be found in the A-Z person index in the top drop down menu. 

Edwardian Pedlars In Marlow

 Here's a rundown of some of the items that could be bought on the door step or from wandering street sellers in Edwardian Great Marlow....